- To write for any show as required; the BBC produce a wide of variety of formats and styles. You’ll be a versatile writer who can create one-liners, host links, sketches, narrative and more.
- To contribute as required to long-running topical series, working to tight deadlines.
- To script edit sketch and narrative comedy shows
- To write to a brief set by a producer or another writer
- To contribute to idea generating sessions
- To work in a team and also independently.
- To develop scripted and non-scripted podcast ideas for development.
- To write on behalf of the BBC Studios Audio social media accounts
- To write trails and promotional material.
- To be fully aware of the Health and Safety responsibilities of this job role as stated in the department’s Health and Safety Policy and always act responsibly when working on productions.
- To comply with the BBC’s policies on Diversity and Inclusion.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Good knowledge of comedy and passion for both the comedy world and writing comedy.
- At least two broadcast comedy writing credits that are not just one-liners, these can be on TV, Radio or online platforms.
- Ability to work with our performers and writers, creating material that showcases them at their best.
- Able to write to a brief set by others.
- Self-starter who is able to instigate projects and take an active role in their development.
- Good communication skills with the ability to express all issues and ideas clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work to a deadline.
- Ability to treat colleagues with respect and inclusivity and support and encourage others.
- Writing skill- This is an entry level job for someone at the start of a promising career in writing comedy. You must display a passion for making comedy your career.
- Imagination and creative thinking- Demonstrate original, imaginative ideas that are well written and funny.
- Self-Starter- Able to originate and develop their original ideas, working to notes and briefs from commissioners.
- Planning and organising- Demonstrates an ability to think ahead in order to plan and prioritise work and ensure meetings are attended on time and agreed deadlines met.
- Strong communication skills- Always able to maintain good communication, taking the initiative to make the most of opportunities.
- Managing relationships- Demonstrates ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Able to listen to and process feedback with maturity.
- Writing for others.- Ability to adapt to writing in other people’s voices and enjoying that process.
Contract:12 month FTC (6 months initially)