The mid-career commission is a £5,000 grant for independent artists or companies who create live performance for public engagement and consider themselves mid-career. This might be for the stage or in a community setting. Whatever project you’re working on, as long as it involves live theatre (in the broadest sense of the word!) and it has public engagement they want to hear about it!
This is a national callout, but you will be expected to engage with midland audiences and partners if selected and be able to show a positive impact for people in the Midlands.
Who is it for?
This grant is for those who consider themselves “mid-career”. Some examples of what might be considered as mid-career include;
- Having an established practice, identity and a strong track record of creating contemporary theatre
- Having made 2-3 shows/projects, which have preferably toured these outside of their region
- Having worked in partnership with other venues to create work
- Having the infrastructure and capacity to deliver the project and provide a meaningful learning experience for an early-career producer.
They also consider alternative pathways into the arts and recognise not every person has the same experiences. Although these examples we listed can indicate mid-career artist, they will accept any application if there is justification or demonstration of mid-career experience.
What does it include?
- £5,000 grant (plus £1,000 additional fee for recruiting and mentoring Assistant Producer – more details in the application pack)
- 2 weeks rehearsal space at one or two of the IGC partner venues.
- An opportunity to premiere the final piece at our Departure Lounge Festival, (if this is the right fit for your timeline)
- 10 days with an Assistant Producer – more details in the application pack
IGC aims to provide more than just financial support. They will work with you to identify other areas they can support you in.
Some examples of additional support include;
- Mentorship from IGC’s producers; including fundraising, making partnerships, access, tour and project planning.
- Support from IGC venue teams; including marketing, fundraising, touring.
- Signposting to relevant communities and groups linked with IGC and our partners.
30th of January 2022.