Kali are looking for an early-stage, aspiring dramaturg to join their Discovery project. This is a professional development opportunity for those working with new writing who want to develop their dramaturgical skills. You may already be a budding dramaturg or a playwright, director, producer or actor creating new work for performance.
This opportunity is for artists who identify as women and afab nonbinary from a South Asian background*
*At least one parent must be descended from the diasporas of the Indian subcontinent Please note that having previous experience of writing, directing or creating new theatre work is desirable.
Tasks will include:
- Reading and discussing new short plays in conjunction with the Kali Discovery team.
- Observing and taking part in script selection panels (London & Leicester)
- Shadowing dramaturges as they give feedback to writers.
- Observing rehearsals for Kali’s Autumn production – Phantasmagoria by Deepika Arwind alongside the production dramaturg.
- Engaging with leading literary managers outside Kali projects who will work with you via mentoring and skills development projects including guidance on making and feeding back notes to a writer.
- The opportunity to work on your own script with help from the Kali team.
September 2023 – February 2024
4th – 8th September – Attending the first read through of the rehearsal script for Kali’s Autumn production (Phantasmagoria by Deepika Arwind plus mentoring with the production’s dramaturg) plus Discovery project script reading and selection panels.
2 Discovery days (tba) shadowing dramaturges as they give feedback to the selected writers.
A further 8 days for script work, theatre visits and mentoring with leading Literary Managers/dramaturges attached to theatres
12th – 16th February 2024
Opportunity to attend and observe 5 days of London Discovery rehearsals over the week of 12th – 16th Feb when the placement will conclude.
An all-inclusive fee on a freelance basis of £2,500 to cover 20 freelance days to be paid in instalments
Tuesday 4th July 5pm
London interviews will take place on Weds 2nd August.