Tameside Creative Community (CIC) are looking for a Manchester based playwright to create and direct a script out of material that has been gathered from participants in ten workshops delivered across the borough in April and May 2021.
Tameside Creative Community (CIC) ran workshops and interviews with residents to gather their anecdotes, stories, memories and personal experiences of being a resident in Tameside. We are looking for an artist to shape this material into a theatre script using the key stories and themes that arose in the workshops. The artist will then rehearse the script for a rehearsed reading that will be performed in September 2021.
- Give dramatic shape to the stories collected through the interviews and workshops
- Create text inspired by these interviews, that shapes into a story.
- Create a theatre script for live performance, no longer than 1 hour.
- Create the script in collaboration with Tameside Creative Community (CIC).
- Run three workshops with Tameside Creative Community to collaborate on the development of the script
- Rehearse and Direct community performers for a rehearsed reading of the script in September 2021 at a venue in Tameside.
- Experience of writing dramatically or writing a play
- Experience creating work for performance
- Experience writing from other source materials/ writing to a brief
- Experience working with non-professional artists
- A strong co-creation practice
- Experience working and collaborating with communities
- Experience leading groupsessions
- Manchester based
- Desirable – to have connections to Tameside
About Tameside Creative Community
Tameside Creative Community (CIC) is made up of local Tameside residents brought together as Tameside Ambassadors for the Royal Exchange Theatre’s Local Exchange programme. They worked alongside the Royal Exchange Theatre to bring the Den, a two-week pop-up theatre festival to Stalybridge in August 2019. They are now working together as company to continue to give a platform for local voices and celebrate Tameside with the creation of a performance project called 24 Hours in Tameside, which will result in a performance in Autumn 2021.
Applications open: Monday 21st June
Closing Date: Monday 5th July at 10am
Interview date: Monday 12th July
Start date: Monday 19th July
Performance date: September 2021 (exact date tbc)
Two months to develop and deliver the script, and to direct a rehearsed reading of it for performance in late September 2021.
Please submit your CV and a written application (250 words on each answer), filmed application, or voice recording addressing the following:
- A bit about yourself and who you are
- Your experience working with communities
Please also submit a piece of your original writing, no longer than 10 pages in length. This can be part of a longer script or a complete short piece. The piece does not have to have been staged before.
Email to: email@example.com
If you have any access requirements and/or face any barriers in applying, please let us know. Please also let us know if you also have any access requirements whilst working.