In Good Company led by Derby Theatre, in partnership with Attenborough Arts Centre, Nonsuch Studios, Burton Brewhouse, Lincolnshire One Venues, Mansfield Old Library, Arena Theatre in Wolverhampton, Curve, Leicester, and Nottingham Playhouse, are thrilled to announce that they will
commission a new piece of work from a mid-career theatre maker for 2021.
This commission gives a theatre maker £5000 to undertake the intial stages of a performative project between February and August 2021. This commission seeks to reimagine how we make work for audiences; so that the work, and the people that make it, are audience/community focussed, more sustainable, equitable and more collaborative. We know that COVID-19, and 2020 more broadly, continues to have a profound impact on theatre makers, and we expect this commission to be radically responsive to that as we emerge.
- You might be an individual artist, a company or a collective of artists.
- They positively encourage disabled people, African Diaspora people, South, East and South East Asian people or people from ethnically diverse backgrounds to apply.
- The selection panel will reflect and represent the diversity of our sector.
- This commission is for somebody with an established practice, identity and a strong track record of creating contemporary theatre; an artist, company or collective that has made 2 to 3 shows or creative performative projects; have worked in partnership with other venues to create previous work, theatre makers who have the infrastructure and capacity to deliver; a theatre maker, company or collective that considers the Midlands their home.
- A performative project that has achievable public outcomes during 2021.
- A project that looks to the future.
- A project that connects meaningfully to audiences and communities in the Midlands.
- A project that has access at its heart.
- A project that is realistic to the budget and has the potential to develop beyond this commission.
5PM, 22nd February 2021
Interviews: 11 and 12 March 2021
Public outcome fully or partially delivered by July 2021