The First Laugh Comedy Writing Competition is a peer-to-peer competition for total beginners, founded by comedy writer Sara Gibbs. The winner will receive £250, a year’s free subscription to British Comedy Guide Pro, a website offering exclusive content and tools for people hoping to work in the British comedy industry and a series of short meetings, over Skype or in person, with some of the industry’s most successful writers, producers and commissioners.
- Entrants must have fewer than two comedy broadcast credits (credits on two separate television or radio shows). This does not include podcasts, but it does include one-liner credits.
- Entrants must currently reside in the UK.
- You may not submit more than one entry.
- Writing partnerships will be considered, but if you’re submitting as a partnership you may not also submit as an individual or in another partnership.
- You must submit your own original work. Shortlisted entries will be monitored for duplicates.
- Please do not identify yourself in the body of your sketches, jokes or personal statement.
- There is no age limit and entries will initially be judged anonymously to ensure equal opportunities are upheld.
midnight on Friday 8th November 2019.
Entries will then be shortlisted by working sketch and joke writers before the finalists are announced on the website on Monday 6th January 2020. They will then be presented to a smaller panel of industry experts, who will decide on our winner.