1. The Bruntwood Prize Award, Judges Award and Original New Voice Award are open to anyone residing in the UK or Republic of Ireland or British Overseas Territory or with a British Forces Post Office address.
2. The Bruntwood Prize International Award is open to international playwrights invited to anonymously apply via our named international partners: The BANFF Centre in Canada; Belvoir Theatre and Melbourne Theatre Company in Australia; Berkeley Rep and Playwrights Horizons in the USA. We are afraid that no other international submissions can be considered at this time.
3. The Original New Voice Award will be awarded to a playwright who self declares on submission they have not had full-length play professionally produced for 12 performances or more in a professional venue. All scripts entered by these playwrights are also eligible for the Bruntwood Prize, and Judges Award.
4. Entrants must be sixteen or over. There is no upper age limit.
5. Scripts must be submitted anonymously under a pseudonym with no other identifying information on the script
6. We can only accept one entry per person.
7. The play must be an original, unperformed and unproduced piece of work.
8. The play must be an hour long or more in playing time.
9. We do not accept translations, adaptations of other pieces of work, musicals or pantomimes. We also do not accept plays written exclusively for younger audiences.
10. The entrant must exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the submitted script.
11. The submitted play must be available for production and unattached to any other theatre or company. Any scripts that have been professionally optioned, produced or published will be disqualified.
- The play must be an original, unperformed and unproduced piece of work. ∞
- The play must be an hour long or more in playing time.
- We do not accept translations, adaptations of other pieces of work or musicals. We also do not accept plays written exclusively for younger audiences.
- The entrant must exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the submitted script.
- The submitted play must be available for production and unattached to any other theatre or company. Any scripts that have been professionally optioned, produced or published will be disqualified.
- We do accept plays co-authored by more than one writer. Please ensure that only one entry is submitted with one set of contact details.
- If you have won a prize in any previous Bruntwood competition, (excluding Commendations) you may not enter a script. However, you may enter if you have been shortlisted or longlisted in the past.
All scripts awarded prizes are automatically under option to the Royal Exchange Theatre for a period of twenty four months after the announcement of the awards.
If a winning script is produced by the Royal Exchange Theatre, the prize money will replace all first production or development fees. However, the standard percentage of box office receipts and rehearsal attendance fees will still be paid to the writer.
We regret that no correspondence can be entered into regarding any part of the judging process.
* We define resident through your ability to produce, if asked, proof of main address on a driving license, appropriate Inland Revenue document, or if not in possession of these, a phone bill with proof of address. A full list of British Overseas Territories can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories
∞ Amateur performances do not apply. Unproduced means the play cannot have received a professional production in any form, anywhere in the world, apart from one rehearsed reading only.
Should you need to get in touch or ask us any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org