An award of £10,000 will be presented to a first-time prose writer whose submission demonstrates literary talent and who would benefit from financial support to complete their work. Submissions should take the form of 20-25,000 thousand words of a work in progress, fiction or non-fiction, which is not under option or contract
- Applicants may not be under contract to any publisher for any work or title in any language
- Applications are only open to writers who have not previously published or self-published a full-length book of prose (with the exception of a collection of poetry)
- Entrants must write in the English language and reside within the British Commonwealth and Eire
- Applicants who submitted work for previous Writers Awards may re-apply but the work submitted must be new.
- The winner receives a cheque for £10,000 and each runner-up receives £1,000.
- If you published a collection of poetry, a short story in a collection or a script for a play, film or TV published you ARE eligible
31st October 2019.
If your submission is on the longlist you will be notified in April 2020.
The shortlist will be announced in late April. The winner of the Award will be announced in London in mid-May at an event to which the three shortlisted authors will be invited.