New Playwrights Awards provide an important professional development opportunity for three early career playwrights living in Scotland with a genuine commitment to writing for theatre.
Playwrights’ Studio, Scotland work with the playwrights giving them the time, space, flexibility and financial support to develop their work and further their creative ambitions by focusing on a particular script.
Monday 16 September 2019
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their submission no later than Wednesday 20 November 2019.
What is included as part of the New Playwrights Award?
- A £2,000 cash bursary
- Three dramaturgical sessions with either an Associate Playwright or an external theatre professional
- A week-long retreat at Cove Park or equivalent venue (includes travel expenses and a daily allowance for food and refreshments)
- A day of script development with a professional director and actors
- Access to a desk in the Tom McGrath Writers Room (subject to availability)
- A Cultural Trip, which includes a theatre visit and the opportunity to meet key practitioners in Scottish theatre
- Skills workshops. In 2019 they were Writing for Radio with BBC Radio Drama Producer
- David Ian Neville and Introduction to the Business of Playwriting with Stephen Greenhorn, Chair of the Scottish Society of Playwrights
- Wednesday 4 December 2019: Playwriting Programme Induction Day
- February 2020: Workshop 1 (TBC)
- June 2020: Workshop 2 (TBC)
- Sometime between April and June 2020: Cultural Trip (TBC)