The 503Five is an 18 month residency supported by the Carne Trust and Orseis Trust offering writers the opportunity to find their creative home at Theatre503, develop work and experience being at the heart of a new writing theatre. This scheme is designed for writers who have developed their craft to a high standard but are not yet professionally produced.
They define “professionally produced” as a full-length play of more than 65 minutes that has produced professionally for 4 weeks or more in any theatre.
The residency will offer writers a seed commission of £2,000, a series of masterclass workshops, peer to peer support, industry connections, R&D processes, dramaturgical support, and opportunities to have work staged.
Whilst this opportunity is open to writers across the UK, Theatre503 is based in South London the hope is that the participants would be willing and able to regularly be at Theatre503 throughout their time on the 503Five. A contribution towards expenses may be available for travel to London during the residency, which can be discussed once an offer has been made.
12 noon on Monday 15th March 2021
They intend to continue to explore digital engagement where possible to widen access, while balancing the need for in person engagement once it is safe to return to our theatre. To make you aware Theatre503 operates from the middle floor of a Victorian building that the company do not own. We are having ongoing conversations with our landlords about how we might be able to make our venue more accessible but currently there is no lift access to our office and theatre. There is also a plan to move our administrative offices to an accessible building by the middle of 2023. To access the space presently:
- The Theatre503 office/foyer is via a flight of stairs (22 steps)
- The theatre is via a further flight of stairs (11 steps) or 4 additional steps, if accessing via the backstage corridor entrance. There is also a step down into the front row
- WCs are located in our first floor foyer (2 additional steps to access)
- There are currently no disabled access toilets on site or lift access
- Please also note that Theatre503 is housed above a pub; The Latchmere.
- They would like to assure all applicants that any specific access issues can be discussed in advance, and as far as possible will be addressed should you accept a place on the residency.