The Arch and Bruce Brown Foundation 2017 playwriting competition based in New York has extended their call for submissions until May 31st. The completion has had numerous international winners, including entrants from Scotland, Canada and Australia.
All scripts submitted must concern lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or genderqueer life and be based on, or directly inspired by, a historical person, culture, work of art, or event. Only full-length works (dramas, comedies, musicals, screenplays) will be considered.
What you get: First prize, $3,000; second prize, $1,500; honorable mentions, $500.
What to submit:
- All manuscripts must be electronically submitted (no hard copies).
- Only the first 150 submissions will be accepted, and no work previously submitted to this competition will be accepted.
- Your script must involve lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or genderqueer characters and/or themes.
- LGBTQ history must be central, not incidental, to the work. (For more information on the meaning of “historical,” go to the “What Is Historical?” page.)
- You must submit a brief statement, no longer than one page, describing how the script fulfills the above requirements. This statement should explain the time period and historical issues involved.
- Although submissions on any theme are welcome, this year they are particularly interested in works concerning pornography, sex workers, military service, aging, and education of LGBTQ youth. Also, we especially welcome works by and about women and people of color.
- If your work has been produced in any form (workshop, staged reading, or full production), your submission must also include a synopsis of the work’s production history. They will give precedence to works that have never received a full production.
How to apply:
- Scripts should be in standard play or screenplay format, using a 12-point or larger font, and saved as a .doc, .docx, or PDF.
- The cover page must include the title and your name, as well as your own email address, mailing address, and phone number. Even if you are represented by an agent, please provide your personal contact information.
- In the case of musicals, audio segments should be sent separately as MP3 files and limited to a total of 10 minutes. We will request more if necessary.
- Email submissions to:firstname.lastname@example.org