This unique Residency Programme is initiated and run by the artists in Blast Theory. It provides a studio space, accommodation, and uninterrupted time, for residents to research and develop new work in a supportive environment. With 26 years experience as an artist-led company, Blast Theory have a wealth of skills that they are able to use to support practitioners from all backgrounds and stages in their career; supporting skills development, providing opportunities and nurturing talent.
- The Residency Programme welcomes applications from individuals and collaborators working in the following fields, but they are open to other artistic and research forms, this is just an idea.
- The applications of mobile technology
- Games design and theory
- Narrative design and digital storytelling
- Video streaming as artistic practice
- Interdisciplinary and live art practices
- Immersive theatre
- Film (inc. documentary, fiction and interactive)
- Collaboration, co-creation and what audience participation means
- Museum projects and experiences
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate how the residency period will assist in the development of their practice.
- They aim to support people at all stages of their career, including emerging artists and those with an established background in their respective fields.
- They actively seek residents that reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and so encourage applications from those with less visibility in the sector.
There are three residency slots of two months available, giving artists the time and space for meaningful development of ideas and processes. The available residency slots are:
- 2nd March – 24th April 2020
- 27th April – 19th June 2020
- 19th October – 11th December 2020
Blast Theory encourages debate and exchange with residents throughout the residency. They can offer the following to residents and take their lead from the needs of each resident:
- Scheduled mentoring sessions with a Blast Theory artist if required;
- Professional advice;
- Insights into the company’s history, practice, research & development activities, working methods, business structure and artistic structure – through inclusion in creative and business meetings as and when appropriate;
- Access to equipment and resources;
- Networking opportunities.
- All support can be tailored to individual needs and in the past this has included running workshops, tests, works in progress and talks to the Blast Theory team and invited guests.
- They welcome residents to blog or do an Instagram takeover during their stay, this is completely optional
- They strive to provide a warm, welcoming, creative and collaborative environment. Regardless of how busy it is they all have lunch together in the studio between 1pm-2pm to which the residents are warmly invited.