BOLD is dedicated to transforming empty buildings into creative performing arts spaces & BOLD Elephant – a space to create, is their first.
As well as creating their own work, they want to champion & support the work of playwrights. They believe there are too few opportunities for writers to develop their plays in a process that involves other creatives & enables them to ‘see’ their work. So, they are thrilled to launch BOLD Playwrights: an exciting new playwright & play development programme.
BOLD Playwrights is a free scheme that offers two playwrights a rare opportunity to have a first draft developed from page to stage. The scheme includes dramaturgical sessions & workshops with dramaturg, director & actors. It culminates in a final semi-staged rehearsed reading at BOLD Elephant for an invited industry audience. This project is funded by the BOLD company.
The BOLD Playwrights Scheme will be divided into the following stages:
- WORDS Dramaturgical workshops focused on an already written first draft:
- An initial meeting to discuss the writer’s inspiration and vision
- An initial script read and preparation of notes
- A follow up dramaturgical meeting to discuss the development of the play.
- A 2nd script read and preparation of notes
- ACTIONS Development workshops with actors:
- One day (or 2 x ½ days) workshop with dramaturg & actors
- Observe the actors responding to your script
- Hear your words & receive feedback from the actors
- VISIONS Development workshops with actors & a director:
- 2-days of workshops with actors, directors, dramaturg
- Experience being in the rehearsal room as a writer
- Develop a relationship with the director
- Observe their work on your play with the actors
- See your play take shape
- STAGING A rehearsal process culminating in a semi-staged reading for an invited audience:
- A further 2 days of rehearsals with dramaturg, director & actors
- An evening script in hand / semi-staged performance with an invited industry audience at the end of the second day
- FUTURES A session for the writer, with dramaturg & director in which to assess, reflect, discuss feedback, evaluate & consider future options.
- UK residents over 18 years old.
- You will need the first draft of a stage play that you’re interested in developing.
- All levels of experience are welcome & we would particularly encourage playwrights who identify as Global Ethnic Majority, LGBTQIA+, marginalised genders, neurodivergent, d/Deaf, disabled, visually impaired, 1st & 2nd generation immigrants, women over 40 & working class to apply.
11:59pm Fri 23rd April 2021.
BOLD Playwrights will take place at BOLD Elephant & requires the writers’ physical attendance at most sessions.
Please note, unfortunately, they aren’t able to support travel, accommodation or subsidence costs to attend the workshops.
The project is expected to take place between June – Sept 2021 on dates to be agreed.
They will confirm your submission, the outcome of your application & all applicants will be notified about future opportunities at BOLD Elephant.
Shortlisted applicants will receive feedback & be invited to meet in person / remotely during June. Unfortunately, they are unable to offer feedback to everyone who applies.