Accelerate is Box of Tricks’ new development programme for writers over 35. Accelerate celebrates the value of lived experience and recognises that writers can “emerge” at any stage in life. It is designed to help playwrights develop a brand-new play and make a step up in both their craft and professional writing careers.
Box of Tricks are looking for 12 writers to join the 9-month programme, which will run from January 2024 to September 2024. Each writer will be invited to develop the first draft of a new play with support from Box of Tricks, as well as attending monthly group sessions. These sessions will include:
- Craft workshops led by Box of Tricks’ Joint Artistic Director, Hannah Tyrrell Pinder. The content of which will be set in conversation with the group, tailored to their needs and areas of interest (for example, writing adaptations, solo shows, redrafting.)
- Q and As with industry guests, designed to provide clear insight and guidance on navigating the current new writing landscape. Example sessions might include pitching for radio drama, finding an agent, what to do when you’re not writing.
- Open sessions – with busy working lives and multiple commitments, we recognise that finding time to write is half the battle. These sessions will be dedicated to writing together, starting with group check ins and goal setting. They will be a chance for the writers to share ideas and feedback in a relaxed setting, supported by the Box of Tricks team.
- A group theatre trip and pre-show discussion – TBC.
To be eligible, writers must be:
- At least 35 years old. There is no upper age limit.
- Committed to developing as a playwright.
- Based in the North of England (sessions will be held in person in Manchester.)
- A member of Box of Tricks’ PlayMakers Network.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, first read the FAQs below. Then send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “ACCELERATE – [YOUR NAME]”:
- Confirmation of your eligibility.
- A personal statement explaining why you want to take part in the programme. (Max 200 words.)
- A 10-page sample of writing for stage, attached in Word (.doc / .docx) or PDF format.
Applications open on 6th of November. The deadline for submissions is 12pm on 27th November. Box of Tricks will also accept personal statements in video or voice note format (files accepted: mp3, wav, aiff, mp4, wma, wmv, mpg, flv, avi, mov – maximum 50mb).