What stories would you choose to publish?
What names would you add to a new generation of voices?
#Merky Books is a collaboration between Stormzy and Penguin Random House, dedicated to amplifying new and under-represented voices. They’re looking for someone to join us and help to find new writers for us to work with now and in the future.
This is a unique role – you won’t be working on a specific genre or kind of book. You could be working on memoir and self-help, literary and commercial fiction, sci-fi and serious non-fiction. They’re looking for someone with good ideas, a wide-range of reading habits and an appetite for books of all shapes and size.
You’ll be seeking out new writers but also shepherding each project through the editorial process, from acquisition to publication and beyond. That means overseeing all stages of the book’s life and presenting and pitching new titles to a number of internal departments. You’ll also work with the #Merky Books team in developing ideas with potential partners, and assist with all our initiatives, including the annual #Merky New Writers’ Prize competition.
- You don’t need a background in editorial or publishing.
- What’s important is that you have a lot of good ideas, love books, and are passionate about making the unheard heard.
- You’re plugged in to the world around you, whether that’s through news, culture, online or events.
- You’ll be part of a small but ambitious team, so you need to be entrepreneurial.
- You’ll be comfortable with experimenting, with last-minute changes, with driving proposals forward, and with championing new ideas.
- You’ll have experience taking passion projects from vision through to completion, balancing creativity with a commercial mind and an eye for the nitty-gritty of logistics and costs.
- Other things that are essential to succeed in this role are strong attention to detail, excellent time and project management skills and an ability to connect with people from all walks of life
Company: The Random House Group Limited
Country: United Kingdom
Postal Code: SW1V 2SA
Job ID: 39058