Crips with Chips is a scratch night putting Deaf and disabled writers centre-stage. Every other month Graeae be presenting four script-in-hand readings new work at their award-winning and fully accessible Bradbury Studios in East London. All work will be captioned and they are looking at how we will be adding audio description over time.
The next Crips with Chips will take place on Monday 20 April from 7pm. If you identify as Deaf and/or disabled, they’d like to invite you to write a 10-20-minute play responding to the topic of ‘eugenics’. Eugenics is the hateful idea that the human race could be ‘improved’ by ‘breeding out’ disease, disabilities and other ‘undesirable’ characteristics.
If you are selected, you will receive £116 on the understanding that you will attend both the half-day workshop on your piece and the scratch night on Monday, 20 April 2020.
11.59pm (GMT) Sunday 28 March 2020.
- Crips with Chips is an accessible scratch night aiming to identify and champion Deaf and/or disabled playwrights- they therefore only consider submissions from writers who identify as Deaf and/or disabled
- Plays must respond directly to the topic of eugenics
- Plays must not have been performed elsewhere
- Plays may have any number of characters but please be aware that you will only be able to use a maximum of three actors
- Plays must be submitted by the writer and not through a third party/agent
- Graeae will cast the actors
- Adaptations are not eligible
- Plays must be written/translated into the English Language
- Plays (including translations) must never have been professionally optioned, produced or published at the point of submission
- Only one script may be submitted by each writer
- By submitting a script for consideration you agree that:
- You identify as Deaf and/or disabled
- You are over 16 years of age
- You are the writer of the play and exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the play
- You must be available to attend the scratch night on Monday 20 April 2020 from 7pm and a half-day workshop before the 20th April to be confirmed nearer the time
- The play must be no longer than 20 minutes (roughly 20 pages) in length
- The play must be a direct response to the topic of eugenics
- The play or extract is original, unperformed, unpublished work for the stage and has not been produced anywhere in the world