As part of its 120th birthday celebrations, Curtis Brown – in partnership with Curtis Brown Creative – has launched the inaugural Curtis Brown First Novel Prize
The author of the winning novel will be offered representation by Curtis Brown plus a prize of £3,000, while the first runner-up will receive a place on a three-month novel-writing course at Curtis Brown Creative, and a mentoring session with one of the Curtis Brown literary agent team. A further four shortlisted entrants will be offered a place on a six-week online course with Curtis Brown Creative and a mentoring session with one of the Curtis Brown literary agent team.
Midday on 1st August 2019.
The shortlisted titles will be announced in September. Tracy Chevalier will select the overall winner and runner-up, who will be revealed on 10th October.
- Anyone can enter so long as they’re 18 or over, writing a novel in English and resident in the UK or Ireland.
- Entrants should not currently be represented by a literary agent, and novels must be unpublished.
- If you have self-published your work, you are very welcome to enter
- The novel can be in any genre but must be aimed at adults rather than young adults or children.
- Full terms and conditions are posted here.
- Send us the opening (up to) 10,000 words of your novel (including any prologue) and a one-page synopsis of up to 400 words.
- Novels do not need to be finished before you enter the competition, but you should be able to summarise in your synopsis the main plot of your work-in-progress.