Druid is a writers’ theatre with a long track record for premiering new plays of international stature. Each summer, they open their New Writing Script Submission Window to playwrights around the world.
Selected scripts are read as part of the company’s Druid Debut series the following summer, with a view to further development.
For the open submission process, a reading panel assists the Artistic Director in assessing your play and ensures that a range of perspectives are brought to bear on each submission.
While Druid gives consideration to all plays submitted within the allotted period, they are not in a position to give a detailed a response to each submission.
The open submission process takes place alongside commissions, workshops, mentoring, public readings and other playwright development initiatives as part of Druid’s commitment to bring new work into production.
The aim of the New Writing process in Druid is to find new writers and voices that can be nourished rather than a finished polished piece of work. Druid looks forward to collaborating, guiding and nurturing writers, building a relationship with those voices who will grace their stages for years to come.
- Submit only one script per submission window. Once submitted a new draft cannot be resubmitted.
- Submit original work only.
- Submit only those plays that have not had a full professional or amateur production. In this light, plays emerging from student productions or from a reading/workshop will be accepted.
- Writers whose work has previously been produced by amateur theatre companies are asked to submit only those plays that are not currently intended for a future production.
- Druid is not in a position to accept historical/biographical plays. For example, the company is more likely to produce a contemporary, more traditionally-structured play that has a connection to Ireland than an experimental opera about a historical figure with no connection to Ireland.
- Druid is not in a position to accept radio scripts, TV scripts or screenplays. Submitted plays must be written for the stage.
- Druid is not in a position to accept musicals or plays for children.
- Plays should be fully completed and have a running time of at least 40 minutes.
- Please ensure that you are familiar with Druid’s work before submitting your script. You are expected to submit your script to Druid only if you believe it would be of interest to the company.
Friday 25 Aug 2023 at 5pm.