New Diorama and Underbelly’s Untapped Award is back for 2022 to support new and established theatre companies like never before. They’re committing that half the Untapped 2022 companies will come from backgrounds currently under-represented in their programme, and within the wider theatre industry.
Therefore they are reserving space especially for Black, East Asian & South Asian led work, artists from the global majority, low socio-economic class backgrounds, and for disabled or D/deaf led shows.
What’s On Offer?
- A great venue & time for each show, plus an enhanced 65/35 box office split with no venue deposit or guarantee.
- Each Untapped company gets £5,000 in cash towards travel and accommodation, plus an offer of free rehearsal space at our NDT Broadgate venue (subject to dates and availability).
- PR gurus Borkowski will run campaigns for all shows. Underbelly will provide access to their flyering team for all groups and outdoor poster boards. And every company will get a show image created by NDT’s graphic artist mastermind, Guy J Sanders.
- New for 2022, each company has the option to have their production published by Methuen Drama including a separate commission fee and agreement beyond the award.
- All Untapped shows will receive relaxed and fully-funded captioned performances at the Festival.
- Theatre companies from anywhere in the UK, wanting to showcase work at the Edinburgh Fringe 2022.
- Productions that have at least two performers on stage.
- Groups that are available to attend the in-person rehearsal showcase on Sunday 3rd April, 2022.
- Untapped is not open to Comedy and Improv troupes, or Solo performers.
10am, Monday 14th March, 2022.
The shortlist will be announced on Tuesday 22nd March.
All applicants need to be available to attend an in-person session at NDT Broadgate in London on Sunday 3rd April to show them a short rehearsal room extract of your work. All groups attending will be paid £200 each for their participation, and they’ll cover travel for those groups coming from outside of London. On this final selection day you will be supported by:
Lesley Cobbina, Arts Project Assistant, New Diorama
Tsipora St.Clair Knights, Arts Project Assistant, New Diorama
And the final selection panel will consist of:
David Byrne, Artistic Director, New Diorama
Aisling Galligan, Festival Programmer, Underbelly
Shankho Chaudhuri, Staff Associate Designer, New Diorama
Gregor Cubie, Head of Strategy & Planning, Borkowski
Serena Grasso, Commissioning Editor, Plays, Methuen Drama
IT'S BACK! Today we open UNTAPPED AWARD 2022 applications. And the deal is BETTER than ever before…
— New Diorama Theatre (@newdiorama) February 15, 2022