A live, socially-distanced walkthrough event for durational and/or looping live art and contemporary performance.
For 2020, on Sat 21 November, the 21st Emergency will take place in its seventh home – the brand new Contact – so new that this will be the first sneak preview audiences get.
Necessarily, Emergency 2020 will be somewhat different. A socially-distanced, walk-through event for durational and looping performance. Small booked audiences will be guided through the building in gallery fashion, pausing en route to watch the work.
So Emergency 2020 is looking for durational, performance installation; looping + intervention-based live works that can run over a minimum period of 4 hours.
*By durational they mean work that unfolds over its time period, by looping we mean short work that can repeat over and over (suggested max loop 10 mins).
- Artists working in live art, contemporary performance, time-based media and interdisciplinary arts are invited to submit proposals for durational, performance installation; looping + intervention-based live works that can run over a minimum period of 4 hours.
- Work can be in any relevant artform/medium, though some live presence is desirable; please note they aren’t looking for black-box type shows nor for online work.
- The event’s objectives are to be:
- an informal free (donations welcome) public open submission platform;
- an opportunity for artists to meet, show and peer review work in socially distanced condition
- Contact is a big multi-space building which has just undergone a major capital expansion and refurbishment. It will not reopen fully to the public in its finished incarnation until Spring 2021 and, for Emergency 2020, will not have fully installed technical infrastructure. Emergency 2020 will be taking a sited approach to the building, using it as a gallery-style space for a walkthrough audience journey. Technical provision will be basic and largely imported for the event.
- paces available include a black box studio, a large + a smaller rehearsal rooms, a meeting room, a café-bar (not operating), various landings + alcoves. For Emergency 2020 we are specifically looking for durational, performance installation; looping + intervention-based live works. The audience will be taken on a one way journey through the building in timed slots – estimated journey time 75mins.
- Please note: Emergency 2020 will offer an honorarium of £100 per piece selected, to cover fees/expenses. Proposals needing a higher level of budget, or additional access costs please talk to us via firstname.lastname@example.org before applying.
Friday 9 October, 5pm. Selected artists will be notified by 23 October.