The Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities (known as IASH) and the Traverse Theatre will commission a play on or inspired by any aspect of the Institute’s current interests. The stipend will be £10,000 and the recipient will have a private office and full Fellowship at IASH, and contribute to the Institute’s events, including giving at least one work-in-progress seminar during the tenure of the Fellowship.
During the period of the Fellowship the playwright will receive dramaturgical support from the Traverse’s Literary Department. The recipient must be Edinburgh-based for the duration of the residency, as their regular presence at IASH is expected and they will be encouraged to play a part in the artistic life of the theatre.
5pm on 29 November 2019
Interviews will be held in central Edinburgh on Wednesday 11 December 2019.
The tenure of the Fellowship will be between 6 and 10 months from March 2020, by agreement, with the intention that the playwright will submit a complete play to the Traverse at the end of 2020.
- The ideal candidate will be a writer who wants to engage actively with the Traverse and is eager to make the most of the unique environment that IASH provides to further their thinking and develop their work.
- They encourage ideas from writers that want to actively engage with both the Institute’s interests and the Traverse Theatre’s desire to entertain, excite, provoke and delight audiences alike – whether through a brilliant story, an innovative new form or use of technology, or with a striking new theatrical concept.
- Interested applicants are invited to put in writing why they would like to take up this Fellowship and what they would like to explore in their commissioned play.
- Applications should demonstrate an awareness of the work and ethos of the Traverse and IASH, and a sense of how the writer and their work might fit into this.
- Applicants should have had a minimum of two professional productions of their work.