Each year, up to eight writers are invited to join the completely free Playwrights’ Programme and work closely with the New Works team to hone their playwriting skills and knowledge.
The programme invites writers to explore the fundamentals of playwriting through a series of fortnightly workshops led by the New Works team, visiting writers, directors and other practitioners. The group receives a reading list, with access to our extensive script library and free tickets to all our in-house productions. There are also supported opportunities to share work in table reads and Scratch Studio. Workshops will be based around discussions and writing exercises, with writers expected to share ongoing work with the rest of the group.
The group sessions will run in two terms: The term runs in three terms from early Nov to Sept 2022 (exact dates TBC). The programme meet fortnight on Thursday evenings between 6pm and 8pm in the Writers’ Room at the Everyman. Writers work on the first draft of a new full-length play, coming back together to share and discuss what they have written in. Finally, they will work again individually, with dramaturgical support from New Works, on redrafting their play over the summer before a final one-to-one session.
Applicants must be aged 18+ and have some experience of writing for the stage (not necessarily a full production). Talent, commitment and passion are more important to us than experience. We’re looking for innovative, original and exciting new voices from the Liverpool region: writers who are committed to playwriting and making theatre which will delight, engage and challenge audiences.
Please remember to accompany your application with a piece of writing for stage sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All submissions must be original scripts written for the stage: they cannot accept radio, TV or film scripts
• Please ensure all pages are numbered and that you include a title page along with a list of characters
• As submissions are separated from your email and read anonymously, please make sure that your name is not included on any pages of your submission
• Submissions must be no longer than 10 pages. They cannot accept full-length scripts
• Submissions should be written in a legible font and attached as PDF or Word Document files only
Monday 4th October 2021