The Pleasence are looking for bold, fearless and intriguing work to be a part of their spring New Work season which aims to showcase the best new voices making theatre today.
The season will run from February to June 2023 in the Downstairs space, formed of a mixture of one, two and three week runs. A show week consists of 5 performances, they double stack spaces and have an earlier performance time of 19:00 and a later performance time of 20:30/20:45 (show duration dependant).
- Innovative Shows & Great Ideas – first and foremost, they want original work from exciting theatre-makers with a track record of presenting high-quality performance.
- Fresh New Work – they are looking for new pieces of theatre. While it doesn’t have to be work that is premiering, they aren’t looking for revivals or productions of classic texts.
- Dynamic and Theatrical – unfortunately they are unable to accept applications for comedy shows (stand-up, sketch, improvisation) or children and family work for this callout. Due to the Downstairs theatre’s location, ambient sound can be an issue. They are looking for shows that can hold their own against a bit of background noise, be it through its content or sound design. They are especially interested in shows that combine theatrical practice with live music, drag, cabaret and comedy.
- Collaborative Teams – as they are not a producing house, all applications must have a creative team attached which should be a minimum of writer (or devising artists/company), director and producer. They would also expect plans in place fundraising (if not already in place) to supplement our funding/in-kind support and to consider sources outside the Arts Council.
- Fair Working Conditions – they want all long run productions at Pleasance Islington to be paying teams in-line with an industry standard rate (such as Equity Off West End, ITC, etc). Due to the size of the stage (7x3m) and auditorium (72 seats) they would expect no more than four performers onstage.
- Strikable Sets – They double stack our Downstairs programme and therefore you will be sharing the space with other artists/companies while with us. With this in mind, they are looking for work up to 75 minutes in length with sets which are easily strikable and turned around.
- A one, two or three week slot in our Downstairs space (72 capacity three-sided thrust) on a 70/30 BO split in the companies favour.
- A week of 100% subsidised rehearsal space for shows performing for 2 or more weeks
- Support from the Pleasance team writing ACE project grant bids and other fundraising.
- Season PR & marketing.
27th June at 10:00am.
They require a show budget and fundraising plan.