This theatre translator mentorship offers a part-time workshop programme for translators wanting to translate for the stage. The programme is based experiences of bringing world drama from ‘page to stage’ over nearly a decade.
The programme offers a forum where emerging theatre translators can:
- discover and develop tools, skills and approaches to translating for the stage
- workshop translations with professional actors, theatre-makers and translators
- showcase their work in front of a public audience
- discover more
All face-to-face sessions and workshops will – for the time being – be delivered online using Zoom and Slack.
As the situation continues to evolve, they might have to make adjustments to the schedule in regard to rehearsals and the public showcase and we ask participants to bear this in mind when applying.
The mentorship programme is open to students of translation (graduate and postgraduate level) and professional translators (emerging and established) translating into English.
Past participants have included postgraduate and PhD students, professional translators (commercial and literary) with no or little experience in translating for the stage, as well as theatre-practitioners with some translation experience.
Applicants should demonstrate a genuine interest in actively engaging in translating for the stage or in pursuing theatre translation as part of their career.
Applicants must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Have a multilingual background combined with an interest in pursuing a career in theatre translation
- Have completed or be close to completing a postgraduate course in translation
- Have professional experience as a translator
- Have had at least one translation published, whether hardcopy or online