“Opportunity should not only be available to those who can afford it. Access to the best drama training should be a possibility for all those with sufficient talent and dedication regardless of their financial background. As I have got older I have become more and more aware of how much the career that I have had was only made possible because of the support of a great many people. I have also realised that unless ALL our voices and experiences are represented in the stories that we tell then ALL of us are worse off for it. It is to this end that I am setting up the Mab Gwalia Welsh Drama Student Scholarship, funded by myself and Manic Street Preachers. Each academic year up to £15,000 will be available to support up to three eligible students, based on financial circumstances and a personal statement.” – Michael Sheen
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must hold a confirmed place at a UK drama school and provide appropriate evidence of that offer or attendance at a UK drama school.
- The applicant must be normally resident in Wales. However, applications will be considered from applicants who are not normally resident in Wales at the time of the application, but have lived a significant proportion of their life in Wales. Please indicate this on the application form.
- Where the applicant is financially dependent on family or carers, the household income of the family or carers must be under £35,000 pa.
- Where the applicant is financially independent, the applicant’s income must be under £35,000 pa.
- The applicant’s personal assets must not exceed £15,000 in value.
- The applicant must provide a strong personal statement with information about themselves, why this matters to them and why they feel this would help them. The personal statement should not exceed 500 words.
23:59 on Tuesday 30 November 2021.
A shortlist of applicants will be generated and financial due diligence will be undertaken (as noted below) in respect of each applicant on the shortlist.
Following this process, successful applicants will be contacted by Monday 20 December 2021.
Scholarships will be paid to successful applicants by 31 January 2022.