Are you a first-generation migrant theatre artist living in the UK? As an associate network to New Diorama Theatre’s Broadgate artist development project, Migrants in Theatre is excited to offer *FREE* space to migrant theatre makers.
New Diorama Theatre has provided Migrants in Theatre with an office space and rehearsal room that they can make available to our extended membership. Their goal with this space is to create a community space for migrant theatre makers to make work, forge connections, explore, and play together. This is a space that will support the cross-cultural commonality of the migrant theatre maker experience, while acknowledging the intersectionality and specificity of each migrant theatre maker’s background.
They encourage applications from artists who want to:
Explore their practice.
Develop new methods of making.
Challenge the status quo.
All of the above.
You can work toward a specific production, but this is in no way required.
They encourage artists to share their work when they book the space. This need not be a performance; it could be an open rehearsal or a talk with members of the network.
They are aiming to make this space available to as many migrant artists as possible.
Their hope is to allow all applicants a space; however, we will use a lottery system* in the case that more apply than they have space and time for. In that case, they will shortlist candidates based on the below criteria:
*They want to avoid making subjective value-judgements about the quality of the proposed work, so our assessments of teams will focus on equity and equality, rather than the nature of the work itself. Where there are more eligible proposals than there are slots, we will use a form of random selection.
- They are allocating our space to migrant artists with daytime slots (10:00 – 17:00) Monday – Saturday.
- Candidates can apply for one slot or up to a maximum of two weeks.
- Some slots may be retained for MiT to run events or workshops. This will be confirmed in due course.
- A calendar of open slots will be publicly viewable.
- Applicants are encouraged to indicate preferred slots and a second option to allow as much flexibility as possible to juggle demand. (We will always seek to provide your preferred slot.)
- Application deadlines will be the 20th of the month for bookings over the following 3 months. (e.g. the deadline on August 20th is for applications to use the space in September – November 2021; deadline of September 20th is for applications to use in October – December 2021)
- For better planning and coordination we would like to ask applicants NOT to apply with the same dates both via MiT and the NDT main application portal but rather to opt for only one of them. It’s ok to apply via the two as long as you submit different dates.
- There will be limited space for storage overnight. This is most appropriate for smaller props.
20th of each month