This international event is now in its 12th year. The NMWP encourages and promotes the best in new-media writing and is leading the way toward the future of the ‘written’ word and interactive storytelling.
The Competition is organised by Bournemouth University. They are looking for good storytelling (fiction or non-fiction) written specifically for delivery and reading/viewing on a PC or Mac, the web, or a hand-held device such as an iPad or mobile phone. It could be a short story, novel, poem, narrative game, documentary, or transmedia work using words, images, film or animation with audience interaction. Interactivity is a key element of new-media storytelling.
Criteria for all the categories:
- Innovative use of new (digital) media/transmedia to create an engaging, satisfying fictional or non-fictional narrative, poem, or other story form.
- Ease of accessibility for the reader/viewer.
- Effective use of interactive elements.
- A great example of how new media can do things traditional media can’t.
- The potential to reach out to a wide audience (i.e. not just specialist interest groups).
- NB All entries in all categories must be in English.
The winning work in each category will receive the following prize:
- The if:book UK New Media Writing Prize: £1000 donated by if:book UK, where the winner may also be a student,
- The Writing Magazine Student Award: a year’s free subscription to Writing Magazine; or a free writing course, tailored to the winner’s needs.
- The Opening Up Award: £500
- The Digital Journalism Award: £500 and a year’s FIPP membership
Friday November 26th 2021 12 noon UK time
Writing Magazine Student Award by Friday 17th December 2021 12 noon UK time