Big Brum TIE is seeking to commission a new play. They hope to give an opportunity to a talented writer at the start of their career, to write a play that Big Brum will tour to educational settings within the West Midlands and beyond. The successful candidate will be mentored throughout the process by Big Brum and established writers, who will offer insight about writing for young people and in particular the requirements for working in TIE.
They are also looking to meet writers who we will be able to work with on future projects.
Big Brum has delivered Theatre in Education programmes for over 35 years, working with thousands of children and young people across all age ranges and abilities. The Company’s approach involves using theatre and drama to explore deep questions and relevant concepts with young people, to help them make meaning of their lives and the world around them.
- It will be for an audience of young people between ages 11 and 18
- It will be for a play between twenty five and thirty minutes in length
- The play will be for a cast of three
- The play will have staging requirements suitable for touring to schools
- The ideal candidate for this commission will be a writer willing to seek inspiration from Big Brum’s artistic approach, whilst bringing new ideas to the Company through their own imaginative interpretation of a chosen text. As ever with our work, we are not interested in a play that will tell our young audiences what to think, or to teach them a “moral”; the writer will have the skills to open up a gap in the story, an imaginative space that young people can step into and explore.
£2,981.00, for a play under 30 minutes in length
Big Brum is holding an Open Workshop for potential applicants on: 20th December 2018, 11am to 4.30pm at Sheldon Community Centre, Sheldon Heath Road, Birmingham B26 2RU
To reserve a place please contact via email; firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th December.
14 December 2018