The Royal Exchange Theatre are delighted to be re-introducing the Observer Mondays Directors Scheme. This Scheme allows one local theatre maker at an early stage in their career the opportunity to “observe” rehearsals for an in-house production.
The participant is invited into rehearsals every Monday throughout the rehearsal period, tech and into previews. This enables them to follow the process of bringing the work to our stages and the journey of the production. They aren’t an assistant director and are solely there to observe the process. The Scheme also afford them the opportunity to start (or continue) a dialogue with the theatre and to gain an insight into creating work for our spaces.
The successful candidate will also have a mentoring relationship with Nickie Miles-Wildin, Interim Resident Associate Director, and tickets to see the production. They also have a dialogue with the Assistant Director on the production (if there is one).
The “Observer Monday Directors Scheme” is a voluntary position. It is open to anyone over the age of 18 based in Greater Manchester at an early stage in their career. They should not have professional directing credits – but may have created work at a fringe level, as a student, as part of a youth theatre or through other training. As this is a voluntary position, it is for a maximum of one day per week.
The successful candidate will be invited to write a “diary” or “blog” about their experience. This may be published on our website.
We ask that people only apply for one production – please consider which production or which director you would most benefit from an opportunity to observe.
If you have more questions about the Observer Monday Directors Scheme or the productions, please join our Information Zoom Event at 6.30pm on Tuesday 16th January.
To sign up to attend the Information Zoom Event, please email email@example.com with OBSERVER MONDAY ZOOM INFO in the Subject Heading and the link will be sent to you.
Please remember that you can only apply for one production per season.
Candidates are invited to apply by submitting:
· Up to date CV or biog with particular reference to directing / theatre-making
· Expression of Interest – statement of no more than 300 words expressing why you want to take part in the Observer Monday Scheme and how you think it will support your development as an artist and why you have chosen this particular production – why this play and / or director
· Candidates can submit a video application if they would prefer – this should be no longer than 5 minutes in length
Deadlines for applications:
· For A TASTE OF HONEY – 10am on Friday 26th January 2024
o Interviews will be held on 29th / 30th / 31st January
· For SWEAT – 10am on Friday 16th February 2024
o Interviews will be held on 26th / 27th February
· For THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST – 10am on Friday 12th April 2024
o Interviews will be held on 22nd / 23rd April