The Old Vic annual Summer School is transforming into Old Vic Theatre Makers; a six-month online programme for 18–25 year olds to develop creative connections and create a toolkit to discuss and make theatre in the midst of our changing society.
As we all adapt to working digitally and online, they are excited to utilise this opportunity to open up the programme to young people aged 18–25 across the UK.
Theatre has always been about making something which is live, visceral and experienced as a collective and the form that theatre can take in light of the current restrictions is changing quickly. Old Vic Theatre Makers will offer 20 young people the space and time to plan for the future of theatre, as you explore how to be at the forefront of the change and how to negotiate the logistical and creative challenges facing us in this uncertain time.
With the support of a professional director throughout the six months, you will conceptualise and plan the future of theatre alongside other young creatives, working in collaboration with some of the UK’s leading professional theatre makers, culminating in a showcase of learning in January 2021.
Programme Launch, 24–27 Aug: A series of afternoon workshops and talks hosted online by The Old Vic
Online Bootcamps, Sep–Dec 2020: A series of afternoon online masterclasses and workshops with a range of theatre practitioners exploring the following areas:
- September – Interrogating the challenges facing our industry
- October – Exploring the work we are interested in developing
- November – Thinking about how we can work practically as artists
- December – Implementing our work in our communities
- Creative Showcase, Jan 2020: In an exciting culmination of the programme, participants will come together over two days to devise and curate a responsive piece to showcase and amplify your work, ideas and voices on what it means to make theatre in this new world
- This programme is open to 18–25 year olds based in the UK and we encourage applications from those outside of London
- The programme is not open to anyone who has received (or is receiving) formal, degree level (or equivalent) arts training
- The programme is not open to anyone who has taken part in Summer School previously
- They are looking for young theatre makers who want to develop new skills, gain confidence, build networks and explore what it means to create theatre. No experience is necessary and you do not need to have visited The Old Vic previously
- They particularly welcome applications from people who have had limited or no access to arts opportunities in the past
- They are committed to identifying and resolving barriers which may ordinarily exclude young people from accessing theatre
- They are committed to working with young people who have a disability or additional needs and will make adjustments accordingly
06 August at 9am with a second stage interview process the following week.