After last year’s successes, where all the plays were published in a collection from Oberon Books and most saw a further life at venues, The Mono Box joins forces with Hampstead Theatre to offer an exciting new writing showcase on a professional stage.
PLAYSTART 2019 will offer four emerging writers and directors a platform to complete a 15-minute play, with the support and mentorship of a professional playwright. Each writer will be paired with a director and together these partnerships will receive free rehearsal space, facilities to cast actors, a producer and feedback from industry professionals to help them realise their work. This mentorship culminates in two performances in November at Hampstead Theatre where The Mono Box is an Associate Company.
- Plays must not exceed 15 minutes and should be for 1-4 characters.
- There will be no/extremely limited tech available for performance so please bear this in mind when writing your piece.
Friday 20th September, 12pm.
The successful Writer and Director applicants will be informed by Wednesday 25th September.
If successful writers and directors should try to be available for:
- WRITERS AND DIRECTORS MEET & GREET SESSION
Saturday 28th September, 11am-1pm at Hampstead Theatre
- SHORTLISTING CASTING SESSION
Sunday 6th October, 10-1pm at Hampstead Theatre
- ACTORS AUDITIONS WITH WRITER AND DIRECTOR TEAMS- Will be held at The Mono Box Studio in Bermondsey w/c 7th October or by your own arrangement.
- PLAY REHEARSAL DATES- Rehearsals will commence w/c 14th October for 4 weeks. It will be up to you to work with your team to rehearse according to your availability during this time.
- PERFORMANCES- Each play will be performed once at Hampstead Theatre Downstairs between 14th and 16th November with all plays performed again at a special event on Sunday 17th November.