Previously… is launching a new initiative to foster the development of brand new Scottish history plays! One playwright will access a cash grant of £500, research and dramaturgical support and a rehearsed reading at the Previously… Scotland History Festival in 2018.
Plays that are either set in Scotland or are set elsewhere but concern Scottish characters.
Entrants do not have to be Scottish
A few points to consider:
- Previously are looking for plays dealing with the lesser-known areas of Scottish history, so if you pitch something about the life of Mary, Queen of Scots or Bonnie Prince Charlie it’s probably not what they’re after. Not unless you have a really, really interesting take on them.
- Recent history is just as welcome as the more distant past.
- Mythological figures are part of our history and therefore valid subject matter, but Previously urge you to remember that they’re looking for the lesser-known…
- No adaptations
1 July – Submissions open
31 July – Submissions close
30 September – Shortlist notified
7 October – Winner notified
Announcement event to take place during the festival in November.
What does the selected writer receive?
£500 plus research and dramaturgical support. Research support will consist of access to Previously’s academic and heritage contacts to help the writer to find the resources they need to complete their draft. Dramaturgical support will consist of two script consultations with Previously’s Head of Drama, Jen McGregor.
Previously will organise and host a rehearsed reading of the writer’s completed draft as part of the festival programme in 2018.
What is expected of the selected writer?
- To be available for the announcement event in November 2017 (exact date TBC). Unfortunately Previously cannot pay travel expenses for writers coming from outside of Scotland. We may be able to explore the possibility of a video link should the selected writer be based further afield.
- To deliver a completed draft of the proposed script by 30 June 2018.
- To guarantee that the draft they deliver is entirely their own work and does not infringe anyone else’s copyright.
- To notify Previously of any significant alterations to the proposed script along the way.
- To be available for the rehearsed reading of their work at Previously 2018.
For more information and to submit please go to http://www.historyfest.co.uk/competition/