Sunderland Culture’s Great Place Unify programme culminates in 2020 with the presentation of a community play that gathers Sunderland’s communities dreams for the future of the city. As a first step in this project, Sunderland Culture wishes to commission a north east based playwright to work with local residents and community groups to write a new play based on their hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future of the city. The play will be performed by a community cast with the support of a professional production team* in September 2020.
A fee of £6,110 will be payable to cover all preparatory research, including that conducted with local residents, and delivery of script. The fee will be paid in 3 instalments : (i) On receipt of signed contract (ii) On delivery of 1st draft (iii) On the date of the performance. Any subsequent rewrites after delivery of the 1st draft will be done in consultation with the Director. Copyright will remain with the writer, however, the writer agrees to make the script available, free of royalties, to local Sunderland schools and community groups.
- This opportunity is open to writers based in the north east of England.
- The play should last no longer than 70 minutes in length
- The writer will be expected to conduct research with community groups and individuals across the city, collecting ideas and aspirations for the future to work into the final script
- The cast should contain up to 15 speaking parts for local community or amateur actors
- There should also be provision for an additional community chorus of at last 20 participants. This could be in the form of a spoken, sung or movement chorus.
- It is anticipated that the performance will take place outdoors or in a site-specific environment which may be informed by the content of the script
- The selected writer will be welcome, but not expected, to attend rehearsals
- The selected writer must be able to attend and press/media interviews/photoshoots if required
- The performance will be a free, public event with tickets available via Sunderland Culture’s website
31st January 2020
Interviews w/c 16th February 2020 Commission
Awarded w/c 23rd February 2020
First draft delivered to Producer by 29th May 2020
Rewrites June 2020
Rehearsals commence 29th June 2020 (12 weeks)
Performance 19th September 2020