Radius 2020 Playwriting Competition has now been announced in association with the Finborough Theatre. There will be a prize of £500 and the winning script is guaranteed a reading at the Finborough Theatre on 28 June 2020. The shortlist will be judged by the theatre’s Artistic Director, Neil McPherson, together with the Literary Manager, Sue Healy.
This is a superb opportunity for both first-time and experienced playwrights. The 2018 winner, Hannah Morley, a first-time playwright, went on to a prestigious Channel 4 residency at the Finborough Theatre.
- Entries should last between one and two hours in performance and may be on any subject.
- The competition is open to all, but is restricted to UK residents.
- The competitor’s name and contact details must not appear anywhere on the script. Names will not be revealed to the judges until after the final adjudication.
- Entries must consist of original and previously unpublished works. The script should not have been performed within a professional theatre context nor published in any other way than personally by the author e.g. shared by email or included on a blog or writer’s forum.
- Scripts entered for a previous Radius Playwriting Competition are not eligible.
- Competitors may submit one script only
- Entrants should bear in mind the aims and objectives of Radius. This includes;
- the encouragement of all drama which throws light on the human condition, especially from a Christian understanding. Religious themes need not be mentioned explicitly, and a play about the transformative power of love, for instance, would fall within Radius’s remit.
30 March 2020.
The winner will be announced on 18 May 2020.