This September, for the first time, Rose Theatre Kingston is curating a new writing festival.
Three plays will be selected for the festival. The writers of the chosen plays will work alongside director Fay Lomas, inaugural winner of the Peter Hall Emerging Artists Fellowship, to workshop and develop their script ahead of a rehearsed reading at the Rose. The reading will be directed by Fay Lomas and performed by professional actors in front of the general public, Rose Executives and an invited industry audience.
Each of the three successful playwrights will receive a small bursary to assist with the week-long development of their play.
Anyone who submits a play will have the opportunity to attend a free workshop on playwriting and dramaturgy at Rose Theatre Kingston*, run in partnership with company Rough Hewn. Two workshops will also be open to young people aged 12 to 21 as part of the wider festival. Anyone on the shortlist of ten will be offered a one-on-one feedback session with Fay Lomas.
- Anyone of any age and any background is more than welcome to apply!
- We are looking for full-length plays that have not been professionally performed, and that are not currently programmed at another theatre. The running time of the play should be no longer than 90 minutes.
- All scripts must be in a PDF format.
- Submissions are limited to UK residents only.
10am on Mon 19 Aug.
Successful playwrights will host rehearsed readings on:
- Wed 18 Sep, 2:15pm
- Thu 19 Sep, 2:15pm
- Fri 20 Sep, 2:15pm
Playwriting workshops will take place on:
- Thu 12 Sep, 7pm – 9pm (Young person workshop, ages 16-21)
- Fri 13 Sep, 5pm-7pm (Young person workshop, ages 12-15)
- Fri 13 Sep, 7:30pm – 9:30pm (Closed to adult playwrights who have submitted a script)
*Please note: Capacity for each workshop is capped at 20 and they will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.