The Three-Month paid placement allows theatre companies to host a new director at the very start of their professional directing career. The director will spend three months learning about the role and skills of a theatre director. This can be a full time commitment or structured as a more flexible longer placement. RTYDS offers theatre companies up to £5,000 to host a Three-Month Placement in their organisation.
The new director will spend focused time with the theatre company learning about the role and skills of a theatre director. The attachment should last for the equivalent of three months full time. This can be a full-time commitment or be structured as a more flexible longer placement if this suits the needs and commitments of the director. The placement should be tailored to their needs but still paid at the equivalent of the full-time rate.
- All participants must be resident in the UK.
- The placement is for adults over 18 years of age from backgrounds currently under-represented in UK theatre as a result of barriers arising from social, gender, financial, ethnic, cultural, geographic or educational disadvantage or disability. In this aspect of our work they are particularly keen to encourage companies to support people of colour and D/deaf and disabled directors at an early stage of their development. Although women are under-represented in theatre at a senior professional and leadership level, they are well represented among early career theatre directors. Companies should be clear when applying about how gender is a barrier to a particular individual’s career development.
- There is no upper age limit.
- The new director will have had limited opportunities to make their own work, work as an assistant with professional actors, or study directing in an educational context. However, they should able to demonstrate a commitment to a career in theatre directing. This is the chance for the placement to gain first-hand experience in a professional but supported environment.
- The director should live near to the company and should have demonstrated a specific interest in directing rather than in performing or any other theatre art.
noon 30 March 2020