Spread the Word are seeking to commission two Black and South Asian writers or poets and one visual artist to be part of the Runaways project.
The commission will involve:
- Working with the lead artists (Momtaza Mehri, Gboyega Odubanjo and Olivia Twist) and academics (Professor Simon Newman and Dr Peggy Brunache) to develop your own new work in response to the historic research;
- Developing content for the resource pack for young people, schools and youth clubs;
- Work being published in the Runaways anthology by Ink Sweat & Tears Press;
- Being part of and work featured in the Runaways film;
- Participating in the launch event at the Museum of London Docklands and one other engagement event.
The commission fee for writers/ poets is £3,000 inc. each for approx. 10 days work.
- You must be based in London and aged between 18 – 30 years old;
- Be of Black African, African Caribbean or South Asian heritage;
- Be a fiction writer or poet for the writing commission or a photographer, illustrator or visual artist for the artist commission;
- Be able to demonstrate a passion for and commitment to the art form you are working in;
- Be unagented and not have had a full-length work published or collection of work exhibited;
- Be available to work on the project between June – October 2021.
10am, Tuesday 25 May 2021