It’s a talent development programme for writers and writer-performers from a range of disciplines who want to experiment with the moving image. You might be a comedian, spoken word artist, scratch performer, theatre maker, social media storyteller or DIY filmmaker. Whatever your existing practice, the most important thing is your creativity. Scratch Me will help you realise your ideas on screen.
Scratch Me is all about characters. Exciting, original, can’t-look-away characters. Over the course of a two-month programme of workshops, mentoring sessions and writing challenges, lab participants will develop a fully-formed character who has the potential to lead to a short film, TV series or feature film. At the end of the programme, our writers will collaborate with a team of emerging filmmakers to create a short scratch monologue film which will be presented to industry executives at a special showcase event. You’ll leave Scratch Me with a powerful new addition to your creative portfolio and the confidence to develop your film and TV skills further.
Scratch Me runs from October 2020 – January 2021. Applications are open now and close at 6pm on Tuesday, 29 September.
Alongside the filmmaking lab, Scratch Me will deliver a public programme of online events featuring top industry talent discussing the process of character development and the craft of film and TV. Our first public event is a celebration of the unconventional talents and idiosyncratic storytellers behind top British web series, curated and hosted by Pilot Light TV Festival. Join us Tuesday, 8 September.
- Scratch Me is open to all writers and writer-performers.
- They actively encourage applications from writers in other creative disciplines who want to transition their work to film and TV.
- You don’t need any formal filmmaking experience to take part. All necessary training will be provided during the lab.
- To be eligible for Scratch Me as a writer/writer-performer, you must:
- Be based in the North of England. (See a map of the areas they cover)
- Have a character in development who has the potential to lead a longer form film/TV project
- Be over 18 by the start of the lab
- Be able to commit to the lab process. (See an indicative lab schedule – all sessions are currently planned to take place online)
Scratch Me is an inclusive programme. Participation is free and we’ll make adjustments to ensure participants get the most out of the lab.
Scratch Me is a Film Hub North and BFI Network project delivered in partnership with Screen Yorkshire and SIGN (Screen Industries Growth Network). Scratch Me is designed to feed into the wider Flex talent development programme to be launched by Screen Yorkshire in early 2021. Both programmes will contribute to SIGN’s overall aim to enable and empower sustainable growth in the TV, film and games industries of Yorkshire and the Humber.