Slate Playwrights’ Group is aimed at talented and ambitious Black* writers who create text-based work. You must live in the north of England to apply. You might not have had work produced yet but you must have written at least one play (45+ minutes).
The group is facilitated by leading dramaturg Ola Animashawun (National Theatre and Royal Court Theatre),
*To Eclipse, Black includes anyone who is marginalized for their race or ethnicity.
Fri 20 Apr, 5pm.
Successful applicants will be notified on Wed 24 April.
To apply, please submit:
- an example of your work. This can be a ten-minute piece or a ten-minute extract from a full-length play, whatever shows your writing at its very best.
- an idea for a play that you’d like to write/are currently working on (no more than 100 words)
- a short statement explaining why you’re applying and what you hope to get from the course. You can submit this in writing or you can send it as an audio or video file.
- a complete equality monitoring form.
What criteria are used to select writers?
- Potential – do you have the potential to flourish under the guidance of this programme? Do you want to disrupt and enrich the theatrical landscape?
- Ambition – are you serious about presenting work on a national level and international level? Do you want to scale your work up?
- Timeliness – are you ready to take the next step in your career?
- Originality – do you have a unique voice/perspective?
What will you get?
- Expert guidance from one of the country’s leading theatre makers
- You will be encouraged and supported to write a full-length play
- You will receive detailed feedback on your completed script
- Travel bursary toward the cost of travel to and from the sessions.
- Materials bursary toward the cost of play texts and stationery.
- Ticket bursary to allow you to see work whilst you’re a member of the group.
- Refreshments will be provided during the sessions.
Access costs will be covered for group members that require support to enable them to participate.
Over eight weeks, writers will develop individual ideas for a full length script.
Session dates: Every Tuesday from 7 May – 25 June, 1 – 4pm
Location: Unity Theatre, Liverpool.