Spread the Word are pleased to support Barbed Wire Fever with their offer of free writing workshops on Saturday, 28 September at Spread the Word’s offices, for refugees and people from refugee families.
These writing workshops are for refugees to tell stories about themselves. In these workshops, the focus will be on stories that you want people to know, whatever those stories might be. They are open to refugees and people from refugee families at all levels of writing experience.
- There will be two Barbed Wire Fever writing workshops on Saturday 28 September: one from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM and a second workshop from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- Each workshop will be two hours long and use freewriting techniques to generate new work.
- Up to eight people can participate in each workshop
- Participants will be reimbursed for travel costs.
- Free childcare will be available during the morning session so that parents can participate while their children play.
The workshop will be led by Linda Mannheim. Linda’s most recent book is This Way to Departures, a collection of stories about people who have relocated – both voluntarily and involuntarily (out from Influx Press in October 2019). Eimear McBride wrote that Linda’s stories ‘provoke and abide like a slap. ‘Linda’s work has appeared in 3:AM Magazine, Ambit, Catapult Story, Litro, and Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine. Linda has lived in London for the past 15 years. She is from a refugee family and grew up in New York.