The Actors Centre, in association with Voila! Europe, is bringing together European artists for a Festival of theatre in April 2019, in response to the UK’s exit from the European Union. This will be a celebration of European culture, offering a platform for visibility and opportunity to those who may feel isolated or disenfranchised by the passing of Article 50.
They are looking for submissions of multilingual, multicultural, and multidisciplinary performance. The theme of the piece does not need to directly reference Brexit or the European experience (although it can do), rather, the mission of the Festival is to highlight and empower European artists, to offer a space where they are welcomed and celebrated, and to showcase the very best European talent in the heart of London’s West End.
The Festival will run for three weeks from Monday 8th – Saturday 27th April 2019 in the Tristan Bates Theatre at the Actors Centre, just off Shaftesbury Avenue. Performances will start at 6:15pm, 7:45pm and 9:15pm each night respectively.
They welcome submissions from anyone who considers themselves to be European. You might have a show in a European language. You might have translated or adapted a European play. You might be a UK company with a piece of new writing featuring a cast or creative team from Europe. You might be a European company looking to bring your show to an international audience in London.
They are looking for finished productions, not work-in-progress pieces (this isn’t to say the piece has to be ready at the point of submission). They encourage applications from productions that have not had a substantial run at another venue in London.
5pm on Friday 18th January 2019.
Each production will receive:
- 5 or 6 performances in the 58-seat Tristan Bates Theatre across one week.
- 8 hours of get in/tech time with technical supervision.
- A resident technician to operate each performance.
- Marketing and PR support from Voila! Europe and the Actors Centre, including social media coverage and posters/flyers designed and printed in-house.
- 2 comps per performance.
- A festival pass for your company members to attend other performances during the Festival (provided the shows are not sold out).
- 15% discount at the bar for all company members.
Each production will agree to:
- Limit their pieces to a maximum of 1 hour in duration.
- Abide by the ‘Festival Spirit’ guidelines.
- Pay their cast and crew according to the Equity Fringe Minimum guidelines.
- Work with a festival lighting rig.