The Alfred Fagon Award promotes, maintains, improves and advances education and the encouragement of the arts in particular by the recognition and promotion of plays by British writers of Caribbean and African descent in the art of drama.
- The competition is open to any playwright of Caribbean or African descent, resident in the UK, for the best original, new stage play in English.
- The play does not need to have been produced. However, if it has, only plays produced since August 2018 will be considered.
- Each entrant can submit only one play. A play may also be nominated by a third party with the writer’s consent (e.g. via an agent).
- Plays must be full length and presented as double-spaced, single-sided, in Times New Roman, font 12pt and be a minimum of 40 pages.
- Television, radio plays and film scripts will not be considered.
- New as well as established writers are encouraged to enter.
5pm, Friday, 26 July 2019.
*Postal copies must be received by the deadline to be eligible.
All applicants will be notified by email of their entry’s safe arrival. No correspondence will be entered into between the judges and applicants.
Only shortlisted writers will be contacted in early November 2019.
The writer of the winning play will be announced at The Alfred Fagon Award ceremony in November 2019.
The Alfred Fagon Award is supported by The Peggy Ramsay Foundation.