The 2019 Prize for Literature will be awarded for an original and previously unpublished playscript for theatre, radio or television no more than 15 minutes in length. The first stage though is the submission of a one-page treatment between 500-800 words. 12 of these submissions will be commissioned to produce the 15 minute playscript. Four entries will then be chosen to be performed and judged at a live performance on November 29, 2019 at Storyhouse in Chester.
Deadline: 1st July 2019
- The writer must have been born, live or have lived, study or have studied, work or have worked, in Cheshire.
- For the purposes of the Prize, Cheshire is deemed to include the Wirral, as well as Warrington and Halton. Documentary evidence of eligibility may be required.
- Entrants can be any age, but those under 18 years of age on the 1st September 2019, will require written consent from a parent or guardian when submitting.
- Entries must be received by 1st July 2019. Three typed, (non-returnable) copies of the entry should be sent to: The Cheshire Prize for Literature, University of Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ.
- The writer’s name should not feature on the entry itself. A covering letter should include the writer’s name and address, telephone number and/or email address, and the title of the entry submitted.
- Alternatively, email entries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, the entry must be attached as a Word document with a separate Word document attached containing a covering letter. Entrants from outside the county must state the reason for their eligibility.
- There is no charge for entering the competition.
- Entrants may submit only one entry.
- Entries will be judged anonymously, by a panel chaired by Simon Poole, Faculty of Education, University of Chester and Storyhouse. The decision of the judging panel will be final.
- No correspondence can be entered into concerning individual entries.
- By entering this competition the writer consents to their work being published – further terms and conditions can be found at https://www.chester.ac.uk/literatureprize/howtoenter. Enquiries about eligibility, or requests for further information, should be directed to: