The 2020 ITV Red Planet Prize will focus its search on new writers who can create original, authentic content for ITV. The winner will get a script commission, and development and the runners up development opportunities. ITV is the largest commercial broadcaster in the UK and reaches millions on a daily basis. To continue to attract and appeal to the breadth of audiences of the UK the judges for the ITV Red Planet Prize will be looking for the best drama ideas that come from writers from all communities that characterise modern Britain.
Writers will be asked to think big, think how they can make their idea stand out in a competitive marketplace. This year the focus is on:
- Unmissable 4 part thriller – could be psychological, conspiracy, relationship, crime, or political
- Returning procedural series – including crime, medical and legal, where the authenticity and diversity of the world, the characters and their relationships hook you in week after week
Writer’s will be asked to submit:
- an existing original spec script, full length and for any medium TV, film, radio, theatre
- a one/two page pitch for an original TV serial or series idea for ITV
- a short CV highlighting any writing credits (these are not essential to enter)
- Screenwriters must be based in the UK and Eire. The idea should not be in development with another broadcaster or independent company.
- For this particular competition period drama ideas will not be considered
Up to ten shortlisted writers will be invited to a one day pitching master-class with Tony Jordan and ITV Drama Execs, and they will then have 3 weeks to write up their pitch and series outline. Judges include Rashan Stone (Actor/Writer) Kate Rowland (Creative Producer) Chloe Tucker (ITV Drama Commissioner) Belinda Campbell (Managing Director Red Planet Pictures)
4 writers will be invited to final interview to discuss their idea.
April 3rd 2020
Shortlist Masterclass 31st May 2020
Final Interviews June 29th 2020
Winner announced July 2020