The MacDowell Colony provides time, space, and an inspiring environment to artists of exceptional talent. A MacDowell Fellowship, or residency, consists of exclusive use of a studio, accommodations, and three prepared meals a day for up to eight weeks. There are no residency fees.
MacDowell Fellows are selected by their admissions panels, which are comprised of a revolving group of distinguished professionals in each artistic discipline who serve anonymously for three years.
Application Periods & Deadlines
Artists may apply only once every 24 months. MacDowell will only accept applications for the upcoming deadline.
Applicants will be notified of admission status approximately 2 months after the applicable deadline, on or near the dates listed below:
- Summer residency notification: March 15th
- Fall residency notification: June 15th
- Winter/Spring residency notification: November 15th
- The Colony accepts applications from artists working in the following disciplines: architecture, film/video arts, interdisciplinary arts, literature, music composition, theatre, and visual arts.
- The sole criterion for acceptance is artistic excellence, which the Colony defines in a pluralistic and inclusive way.
- MacDowell encourages applications from artists representing the widest possible range of perspectives and demographics, and welcomes artists engaging in the broadest spectrum of artistic practice and investigating an unlimited array of inquiries and concerns. To that end, emerging as well as established artists are invited to apply.
- Applicants who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs as of the date of application are ineligible for a residency and therefore cannot apply. Doctoral candidates who have finished all coursework may apply.
- MacDowell is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical ability or disability. The Colony offers barrier-free access in its main buildings and some studios. There are no medical facilities or medical personnel on site. MacDowell is situated in a rural area with limited access to medical care facilities. We strongly suggest that applicants with special medical needs contact the Resident Director before applying.
- Work samples supporting the proposed project and completed within the past four years are requested. All work samples are uploaded and submitted through the online application. Applicants unable to submit new work for the panel to review should include a note of explanation. Those applicants whose proposed project does not fall clearly within an artistic discipline should contact the Admissions office to discuss which discipline would best fit the proposed work.
- Applicants are required to have one reference on file completed by someone who is knowledgeable in their field and is familiar with them and their work. Applications that do not have a completed reference on file will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed. References that are submitted as part of a completed application are confidential and will be kept on file for five years.
A nonrefundable processing fee of $30 (U.S.) is required with each application. Applicants pay the processing fee by debit or credit card through a secure site on the online application. Any applicant who may experience difficulty in paying the fee is encouraged to contact the admissions department.