As part of their commitment to supporting artists from across our region in the creation of new work and the development of their practice, The Marlowe have joined forces with the Mercury in Colchester to launch 10 new seed commissions.
They are looking to connect with the theatre makers of tomorrow by seeking out the boldest, most talented and theatrically daring artists in the South East and providing them with the support and space to research, explore and test their ideas.
The successful projects/artist proposal will:
• Be made by a south-east based or born artist or company (Kent/East Sussex/Essex/Medway/Thurrock).
• Demonstrate a connection to our region with themes that resonate.
• Demonstrate a well thought through proposal that responds to the brief above.
• Demonstrate that ideas are being developed with a diverse team.
They are offering:
• Seed funding up to £1000 to support development, which should cover all associated costs of developing an idea for a week including artist fees, materials & production costs (if required).
• Space in The Marlowe Studio (Canterbury) or The Mercury Rehearsal Studio (Colchester) for one week (max 40 hours) between April – August 2021. Dates and location to be agreed with successful applicants.
• Option to informally share and reflect on the process with a trusted invited group if needed.
• Option of having a critical eye at points that suits.
• Become part of Mercury Connects cohort where east-based (and east-born) artists are invited to events, discussions, networking nights, special offers on tickets and other professional development opportunities.
• Mentoring and support from The Marlowe & The Mercury teams.
9am on Monday 22 March 2021.
Shortlisted proposal candidates will be invited to pitch their idea to the selection panel on Wednesday 31 March 2021. The successful commissions will be confirmed by the Monday 5 April 2021.