The Old Vic 12 is a group of 12 extraordinary developing artists ready to take the next step in their careers. The scheme provides access and insights into top-level theatre-making, mentoring from industry experts, opportunities to deliver masterclasses to emerging artists, and collaborate with each other to create brand new work.
This group of exceptional writers, directors, producers and other theatre artists will be selected through an accessible, nationwide recruitment process. Over a year-long attachment they will be supported to create and develop three brand new plays which, for the first time, will be taken through to full production at leading cultural venue, Shoreditch Town Hall, in a three week repertory season in March 2021.
In the first round of applications they are looking to select three exceptional playwrights who have received at least two professional productions and are looking to increase the reach of their work.
Winners will receive:
- A commissioning fee of £5000 for a new play
- A table reading and practical research and development period
- Four weeks rehearsal and a three week long repertory production in the Council Chamber at Shoreditch Town Hall in March 2021
- Mentoring and dramaturgical support from Old Vic and Shoreditch Town Hall Staff and Associates
- An Old Vic 12 Director, Producer and Collaborators who will help develop the play and deliver the production
- A series of development opportunities, including high level workshops and collaborative sessions
- Access to Old Vic meetings, technical rehearsals, educational projects, press nights and special events throughout the year
- The opportunity to expand networks and work with other talented practitioners
- The prestige of being an artist on attachment with The Old Vic and Shoreditch Town Hall and being one of The Old Vic 12
- You must have had two plays professionally produced for a minimum run of three weeks or had one professional production alongside a significant number of readings, workshops or development opportunities
- Suitable applicants are invited to outline a pitch for a brand new play idea- see the Old Vic site for more detail
- The successful candidates will then be commissioned to develop a first draft of their idea over a six month period.
- Recruitment for the rest of The Old Vic 12 cohort and all other creative team members will take place in March 2020 and the project will run over the following year.
- As with each opportunity at The Old Vic, they encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Successful applicants currently based outside of London will be eligible for support with travel and accommodation. They will also work with you to make sure any access needs are met and that you can make the most out of the opportunity.
12pm Wed 25 Sep
Candidates invited for interview will be contacted w/c 07 Oct. Initial interviews will take place at The Old Vic on the 15, 16 and 17 Oct.