The Old Vic 12 is a group of 12 extraordinary developing artists ready to take the next step in their careers. The scheme provides opportunities to expand their networks, receive first class mentoring and benefit from a prestigious association with The Old Vic. The selected 12 will also receive a grant to create and develop three brand new plays to be presented at The Old Vic.
The Old Vic is looking for three playwrights as part of this group. The successful applicants will be creatives looking to make a change in their work, whether that’s a step up or the support to go in a new direction. Applicants should be creating their own work on the fringe, assisting established practitioners or working at the equivalent level, and feel that they would benefit from a structured year and attachment to an independent producing theatre.
12pm Monday 3 September
Candidates invited for interview will be contacted w/c 17 Sep. Initial interviews will take place at The Old Vic Workrooms on the 3, 4 and 5 Oct.
From Nov 2018 till Nov 2019, the playwrights will be under commission with The Old Vic, with a workshop presentation at the end of the scheme.
The Old Vic is offering:
- A commissioning fee of £5,000 for a new play
- Mentoring and dramaturgical support from Old Vic Staff and Associates
- An Old Vic 12 Producer, Director and Collaborators who will help develop the play and present a rehearsed showing
- A series of development opportunities, including high level workshops and collaborative sessions
- Invitations to Old Vic meetings, press nights, special events and workshops throughout the year
- The opportunity to expand networks and work with other emerging practitioners
- The prestige of being an artist on attachment with The Old Vic and being one of The Old Vic 12
- Successful applicants currently based outside of London will be eligible for support with travel and accommodation. They will also work with you to make sure any access needs are met and that you can make the most out of the opportunity.
- Write a full length play, delivering drafts to deadlines
- Attend meetings and workshops with other members of The Old Vic 12 and The Old Vic staff during the development process
- Deliver a playwriting workshop to 20-25 artists who are at an entry level of their careers
The Old Vic are hosting a number of free workshops for applicants from underrepresented groups which you can read about here
To apply please go to https://www.oldvictheatre.com/the-old-vic-12/playwright