Opening in 2009, the Papatango New Writing Prize was the first – and remains the only – annual playwriting award in the UK to guarantee an emerging playwright a full production on the professional stage. It provides a royalty of 10% of the gross box office and publication by Nick Hern Books, as well as a full commission to support a follow-up play.
The winner of the Prize will develop their play with Papatango over several months, building towards a four week production at Southwark Playhouse in autumn 2019. The script will be published by Nick Hern Books. The writer will receive a royalty of 10% of the gross box office income. Following the production, the writer will be paid a £6000 commission to create a new play with development support from Papatango.
All entrants will be able to opt-in to receive feedback if they wish; please make this clear when submitting your script.
9pm, 17 February 2019.
- The competition is open to anyone resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland only.
- There is no age limit.
- There is no minimum or maximum level of experience required to enter. All you need is a story.
- The play must be an original, unperformed and unproduced piece of work. It cannot have received a professional production in any form, anywhere in the world, apart from an absolute maximum of three rehearsed/staged readings or workshops only. Amateur productions do not apply. Any scripts that have been professionally produced or published will be automatically disqualified.
- Translations, children’s plays, adaptations of classic plays or existing works in other media, music theatre, television, film or radio scripts are not eligible.
- Plays submitted to the prize in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted.
- You may submit more than one play if you wish.
- As the Prize offers a full production and publication, they are looking for full-length plays, not shorts or sketches.