The 15th Papatango New Writing Prize is now open for entries!
The UK’s biggest annual playwriting opportunity guarantees feedback for all – an unrivalled investment in new writers everywhere. It awards its winner £7000, a full production & royalties in association with London’s Bush Theatre in spring 2024, and publication with Nick Hern Books. It also gives four shortlisted writers £500 each and a filmed reading, showcased worldwide on The Playwright’s Laboratory.
- The competition is open to anyone resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland only.
- There is no age limit.
- There is no minimum or maximum level of experience required to enter. All you need is a story.
- The script must be an original, unpublished and unproduced piece of work. It cannot have received a production in any form, anywhere in the world, apart from an absolute maximum of three public readings, showcases or performances. Any scripts that have been published or produced for any more than three performances, whether professionally or with an amateur company, will be automatically disqualified.
- Translations, children’s plays, adaptations of classic plays or existing works in other media, music theatre, television or film scripts are not eligible.
- Scripts submitted to the Prize in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted.
- You may submit more than one script if you wish.
- As the Prize offers production and publication, they are looking for complete, full-length scripts.
9pm (GMT) on Sunday 5 February 2023.